The new spray tent.

The-new-spray-tent-is-finished

[pullquote align=”right”]

However safe you think something is it still has potential to be dangerous, I mean look at the exploding e-Cigarettes.

[/pullquote]

Introducing a new line of blogging on what is happening inside the studio, and I hope the first of many posts in this categorie.

The paintings I make use both spray paints and airbrushed acrylics, when I first started out spraying in my very small studio in Bath the canvases were painted on one side of the room and when finished stacked on the other opposite side, what I didn’t realise was that as I sprayed larger works the spay pigment dust would hang in then and drift across the room to coat the paintings propped up against the wall.

The first spray tent was made from large vinyl coated dust sheets which did the job of protecting finished work stored in the studio, and when the paintings got much larger it protected everything in the studio from being covered in a thick layer of spray paint pigment dust, however a problem remained, with more and more painting came the problem of the chemical odours that fixatives in spray paints give off. The tent was good and would hold much of the chemical smell within but as I’d move in and out of the tent more the smell would leak into the room and I found myself wearing my breathing filter pretty much all the time I was in the studio.

The overuse of spray paints in such a small studio space eventually led me to a healthier method of painting and I began spraying acrylic ink with an airbrush. For a while I thought I’d found a solution to the problems of working with toxic spray paints but turned out that even when only airbrushing with acrylic ink I occasionally went home not breathing too clearly and realised that I would get quite a nasty cough the next day even if I wore a lighter particle breathing mask and again I ended up wearing my heavy duty breather gear again.

The new spray tent being built

The new spray tent being built

SO… onto the new spray tent. I made a wooden frame so that the tent could be moved if needed, it also allowed me to fit a polythene zip lock door to the tent – a particularly nice touch I think, I hope it keeps the vapours inside when I’m spray canning.

The walls of the spray tent are transparent polythene that allows the only light source to pass through to the rest of the space, better than the previous version which used opaque polythene.

The spray tent has a bit less depth but slightly more width, it is still only big enough to paint one canvas at a time.

Leave a Comment